Sunday, November 24, 2013

Buy Handmade vol 83

This week we head o Fowler, IN..


Name: Colin Evan Pritchett
Age: 25
Occupation: Your reading about it!
Etsy Shop: ItalicHome

Tell us a little about yourself.
I live in the middle of nowhere in Indiana, and I used to hate it, but it's grown on my tremendously. It's a great place to create. I have three brothers, and a very close family. I love modern, minimal design, and I spend my time making anything from furniture to fashion. I also have a miniature dachshund that I like more than any rational person should.



When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
You could kind of say I've been creating my whole life. I have a very artistic family (my mom's an art teacher, and my dad does construction), so I've been making things since I can remember. I went to college for graphic design, and then realized I loved design, but needed to use my hands. There's no better feeling than having a 3D object at the end of your process. (I guess that makes me materialistic.) My Etsy shop is fairly new. I started it this May, but didn't really make it what it is now until September.

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
It goes back to my "roots" (if you can call them roots when you're only 25) as a graphic designer. It was kind of a nod to how I got started in design. I also like the word Italic itself, and the connotation it has for my products: something slightly different, not the norm.

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?
Almost. I am kind of transitioning to that at the moment. After college, I had an internship and then started working in construction with my dad while I looked for jobs. Then I started my Etsy shop, and the response has been so great that it is becoming the "job" I was looking for all along. But it's still growing, so I work construction to supplement it.



How would you describe your creative process?
My mind is very visual, so I start off by doing a lot of daydreaming. I pretty much form the entire product in my head, and then go about translating that with my hands. I make prototypes, figure out what needs works/doesn't, and then revise revise revise. It's very frustrating sometimes, because you can go from loving to loathing something in a matter of minutes. However, it's by far the most rewarding thing I've done.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
The internet is a magical place. I just try to absorb as much design work as possible, and get an idea of what could be improved or what is missing. I question a lot of things. Why does everyone do this? Why do we use that material? Why do we like this and not that? Why everything? I use that information and curiosity to fuel the designs in my head.

Do you also sell your work at craft shows?
I don't currently, but I would love to add them to my business in the future.

What is your most cherished handmade item?
I hate to be THAT guy and say something of my own, but I have a really modern coffee table from a woodworking class in school that means a lot to me. Not only for the time it took, but it was also the project that got me started down the road to selling my own designs. It's kind of a benchmark piece. And it beat out two other tables to win a ribbon at the county fair. So it's kind of a big deal.

Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
I am a connoisseur of trashy television. And I like to cook and eat. Mostly eat. But really, when I'm not creating in one medium, I'm probably creating in another. I can't get enough. 

Was there ever any other job you dreamed of having growing up?
I always wanted to be an actor. And of course, I just knew I would be famous. I even started out studying theatre, but quickly changed my mind.

Five years from now you will be…
Five years may be a little optimistic, but I would absolutely love to one day own my own real-life, brick-and-mortar store to sell my products. I definitely want to have an expanded product line, and hopefully be doing this full-time.

Describe yourself in five words:
Random. Curious. Minimal. Passionate. Gorgeous.

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Passion Pit. Bon Iver. Ellie Goulding. Jónsi. And probably some weird Swedish band. They make good music.

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
I've heard it so many times, but just stop making excuses and do it. It won't be great at first, it might even be horrible, but it will start you down the path. You can't get anywhere when you haven't even stepped through the door. I am very proficient at procrastination, and it took me a long time to finally just get my act together. But as soon as I did, it was such a great feeling. Nothing happened for awhile, but in the blink of an eye, it was better than I could have imagined.



As an added bonus Colin is spreading holiday cheer by giving 50% off his shop (can be used on multiple items!) 

Use code "holiday2013" to get this amazingly generous discount.