Wednesday, October 02, 2013

wiw vol 37

Something you may not know about me is that I LOVE horror movies. I fell in love with being scared when I was in third grade and, at a sleep over, watched Friday the 13th on VHS. Horror movies were not something my parents let me watch, they were rated R - and well..I was in third grade. I can remember laying in my sleeping bag and when Jason came crashing through the window my entire little body jumped sky high. It was so funny to my friends that they kept rewinding the tape and playing it over, and I would still jump every time!

So, for the month of October I thought it only fitting that I share 5 horror movies. I don't want to say they are a "top 5" or are in any order of favorites because I have more than five horror movies that I love for many different reasons. So I will share with you five random picks that I love to scare the bejesus out of myself.

The first one I'll start with is..


The Blair Witch Project
1999 - R - 81 minutes

Storyline

Three film students travel to Maryland to make a student film about a local urban legend... The Blair Witch. The three went into the woods on a two day hike to find the Blair Witch, and never came back. One year later, the students film and video was found in the woods. The footage was compiled and made into a movie. The Blair Witch Project.


I remember when this movie came out in 1999. I was living in Northampton, MA and the mister and I saw it in this theater which definitely added to the experience..




I can still remember the grittiness and how scared everyone was when we all left the theater. People walking out saying "holy sh$$..that was bleeped up" "was that real?!" It was completely different than other movies out at that time. It felt so real and just really changed how people though about what a horror movie could be. There were so many rumors swirling around about the movie that it was real etc. 

I loved it because it truly scared the crap out of me. I know that now, people sometimes make fun of it and there are all these spoofs with people with their noses running doing close ups in the camera. But, I say, if you haven't watched it - to turn off all your lights, clear your mind of things you may have heard about it, and put it on. I actually have not watched it in over 10 years. But I hold it as one of the few movies that really did scare me to the core when I watched it that first time!