Monday, December 03, 2012

Let the demoing begin


For a while now, people ask me all the time to take a peek into my home. People I've met through this blog, neighbors, friends, family and even people passing by my house. I guess because the outside is so interesting looking. It does draw you in and looks enchanting. To be honest I'm embarrassed by my home, and have been since moving in.

I don't let anyone in. My family doesn't even come by. I've lived here almost 10 years now (how did that happen?!) and I can count on one hand the amount of times my sister has been inside my house. She lives less than 15 minutes away. 

But all that is about to change. We are taking charge. I think for the last many years we have been overwhelmed with the daunting thoughts of HOW much needed to be done to this house and just sort of gave up. It's still overwhelming but we are going to push past that and try to get this house a home we can be proud of. A home we can invite friends over for dinner and not be embarrassed by having people over.

So it began.. the day after Thanksgiving.  X marks the spot.


This is what it looked like. This is the room we have called our bedroom since moving in. Luckily it was the only room the completely covered with horrible 70's wood paneling. There are also a lot of doors in this room. Three to be exact. Which is a lot for a room that is only 11 x 15. We are leaving two in. It's not in the above picture (because we knew we were taking it out - but another door goes from the bedroom the the dining room. By removing that door - it will give us a totally solid wall in the room.



I'm not sure if you know what "balloon ceilings are" but this house has them in every room. Basically its a very thick stretched canvas covering the ceiling. They used them in the 1800's on houses that were near railroads. This way if any of the plaster fell - it would fall into the canvas, and not on your head. (This is also the reason they had canopy beds - not necessarily because of passing trains obviously - but just so that while you were sleeping no loose plaster could fall on your head! (ok end of random history lesson) Anyway. These were never cared for and are FULL of plaster also this one had this weird patch. I joked it was a soccer ball they stuffed up there to fill the hole.


The one thing I find interested are the wallpapers that were in this house. This room had awesome wallpaper that I never even knew about!

It was a southern plantation type of paper? How amazing. Can you imagine what this would have looked like completely covering all the walls and being in pristine shape?!

so this room, once everything is done and we can actually move our bedroom upstairs, will become my "soap workshop". It will be all wall shelves, I'm thinking something on these lines? 


However we end up doing it, I'm just plain excited that a room is finally going to be completed.

Keep checking back on the progress. I'm hoping to be able to have weekly updates.

Sorry for the dark photos, that room has always been really dark - it didn't help that when he was working in there it was a very dark and snowy, gloomy day out.

Happy Monday, I have a short work week this week as I have friday off. Then Saturday will be vending at the farmers market. Have a great week everyone!