Monday, May 28, 2012

Market Mondays: Gramma's Zucchini Bread

Due to my brother being home from DC this weekend, my parents had a cookout with all our family at three. So the mister and I decided to make an extended day out of the market by going to the town over from where the market is to go antiquing as well. So we packed up our super fun, vintage cooler and hit the road.


It was such a beautiful day, the market was chum full of people that feel they are the only ones on earth. You know the type. They walk obliviously in front of you while you are about to purchase something, they talk or stand dead center in the middle of walkways forcing you off the beaten path to get out of their way, you know, because they are far superior to you and have claimed ownership of public space. That was how our entire day went. But that's okay. We had a fabulous time, even with all the rudeness surrounding us.

Our spoils:


This week we bought: 
Semolina bread, cinnamon bread, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, swiss chard, fresh eggs, pork chops and a small chicken. 

We really didn't need to buy too much because we still had some veggies left over from last week that never made it into our dinner menus. 

We then headed off antiquing and were so happy to see our favorite shop was back open for the summer. The owner's name is Fury and she is so awesome. She is who I bought my windows and door from for my studio. Whenever we go she talks to me about the studio and how fun it must be. Her shop is a gigantic red barn FULL to the brim.



One of my other favorite shops to go to is partitioned into small little areas of "rooms". So it makes you feel like you have just walked into someone's old farmhouse.




My spoils:

I found this radio at Fury's place. It works, but I can't get a station to come in. It's going to go out in my shop.


Then...another addition to my lunchbox collection! Speed Buggy, made by Thermos in 1973.


Next weekend the town is having their mini early summer show, all the shops will be open as well as over 100 vendors lining the streets. So, guess where we will be next weekend?!

This week's recipe:



Gramma's Zucchini Bread 
(I didn't have a picture of one I've made so I  found one and sourced it. But believe me, her bread is super delicious!)


Preheat oven: 325 degrees

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 Cup oil
2 Cups sugar
2 Cups zucchini (raw, peeled and shredded)
3 Cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup nuts (optional)

What to do..

Beat eggs and oil together until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar mixture before placing in oven. Bake at 325 for one hour, until tooth pick comes out clean.

That's it, very simple recipe for some super yummy bread! 

Hope everyone that had the extra day off today from work is enjoying their long weekends.