Wednesday, April 18, 2012

glass update

I am officially a pool of snot. (nice image, huh?) I thought I was getting better yesterday and spent the day in my studio for Day 2 of vacation. But then around dinner time last night. The flood gates opened. I'm talking double ear aches, sore throat, headache, body aches, runny nose. The whole shebang. I barely slept last night and now that I'm up and walking around my head just feels like a fog. I think I need to wait a few hours before I decide if I should be operating a torch!

But I wanted to show a little progress and my first few pieces I did on my own. Plus I still have all my hair and haven't caught anything on fire! Pretty impressive.

These are far from perfect but I was pretty impressed with my first go. Especially seeing that I haven't touched glass in over a year since my few classes I took. (was it crazy to spend crap load of money building a studio when I had only taken a few classes and really have no idea what I'm doing!?) 

My dad somehow sees Elvis (or Donald Trump) in this one. He even got out a magnifying glass and was holding it up to the natural light last night. He's like, "it's there! see the swooshing hair?! there's the chin...." I have no idea. I still don't see it. K said he did but I don't know if he was just trying to be nice to my dad seeing that both my mom and I were looking at him like he was crazy. 




























The next one came out really nice. Well really nice for me anyway, being only my 4th one I've ever made! I spent a lot of time with it and really wanted it to be as perfect as I could get it. This one I decided to give to my mom for her birthday for this weekend. They are going down to DC to visit my brother and she wont be home Saturday, so we stopped by last night to give it to her. I really liked how it came out. I put it on a chain and even in a little box for her.



























Hey, if this is me on my second day of having a glass studio - AND being sick, I think I'm doing pretty darn good if I don't say so myself. A few more weeks of practicing and then I need to try to do a kickstarter project to come up with the money for a kiln. We financially can not swing it, and I don't see us being able to anywhere in the near future. Kickstarter is my only hope to be able to produce these and open a shop. (I can't sell anything unless its been through a kiln because there is potential for it to crack)

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday. I'm almost half way through my vacation and have no where near what I wanted to have accomplished. Isn't that how it always goes?! I guess it doesn't help that my brain is a pool of mush though. I'll push on! Garden posts to come (but don't get too excited - there hasnt been much progress due to me being sick)