Tuesday, February 14, 2012

cakey chocolate chip cookies

I know I said I would share this recipe with you all yesterday, I don't know where my brain was. I got caught up in figuring out things in Illustrator and lost track of time. I even forgot to post my Mid Century post. And it's a good one! haha- So today I will bombard you with posting goodness.

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate. I am not one of those girls that craves it and can eat it all the time. I have never eaten an actual chocolate bar, and never plan on it! But I do like chocolate chip cookies (if done right) and who doesn't like chocolate cake, and oh wait, my whoopie pies are chocolate too! Ok, I take that back, I do like chocolate but it needs to be in certain a certain form.

About a year or so ago, I went on a mission to find the "perfect chocolate chip cookie". I thought I had found it and by combining a few recipes and pretty much making a new one up. But..I must say..I think I found my new favorite chocolate chip cookie.

If you are a chocolate lover, I suggest you run out and buy the March issue of Food Network Magazine - brim full of everything chocolate you can think of. In it, they give 4 different cookie recipes depending on your own favorite type of cookie. Some people like them crispy (not me at all), some like them chewy (ahh..they are alright), some like them crispy-cakey (again - no crisp loving here) and then some, like ME!, like cakey chocolate chip cookies. I do agree with the recipe that using the cake flour and the cornstarch are what really make these cookies what they become. So without further ado... Cakey Chocolate Chip cookies (ala Food Network Magazine)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

3 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
2 TBS cornstarch
1 tsp kosher salt (I used fine sea salt)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/4 Cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 Large eggs
1 1/2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips (I only use Ghirardeli but feel free to use what ever brand you like)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl
2. Beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a mixer bowl on medium until combined, but still slightly lumpy (use paddle attachment) The biggest lumps should be the size of peas; do not overbeat. Beat the eggs in one by one. Reduce the mixer to low; add the flour mixture in batches and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. (just to note - the dough is difficult to stir - I mixed the chips in by hand) Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours pr preferably over night (I waited about 3-4 hours)



3. Preheat the oven to 375 degree
4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and drop 2 1/2" scoops of dough onto the sheets, about 2 inches apart. (I used one of my portion scoops - the ones I have are from a restaurant supply company- its a red handle scoop- haha I forgot the letter/size, sorry. If you really want to know leave a comment and I'll research it)



5. Bake until cookies are barely golden around the edges, about 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through (I did not do this as I did them one sheet at a time- which means I also skipped the next step)
6. Turn off the oven, but keep the cookies inside for 5 more minutes to set.
7. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack and cool completely. (I also skipped this step and K and I ate them directly out of the oven! Who waits all that time before eating one, seriously!)



What are you waiting for? Go make these now, I know you want to!

xo-t